Saturday, July 26, 2008

Closing Thoughts

Battlestar Galactica continues to impress me. We're on season 3, episode 7. I'm a little disappointed that disk 2 only has 3 episodes, though. Actually, several times I felt jipped when learning that the disk had few episodes on it. So, that's a criticism of their publication of the DVDs. But as the show goes, season 3 has been interesting.

We drank Reilly's Barking Mad Shiraz 2006. The Wine Advocate gave it 90 points. I think it retails somewhere around $12-14, depending on your state. We got it for closer to $12 (we think), but I'd pay $14. I, personally, liked this wine the most of any of the wines we've had. It's a "big wine" - it had 15% alcohol, and you felt the fire when you drank it. But I actually felt like there was a lot more interesting things in this wine that you might not notice if your first reaction was that it was too strong. The finish was especially kind of cool - some weird tastes on the back of my throat, and even somewhere on the sides of my tongue. Kind of moderately to heavy tannins, but not overpowering. The fruit comes out on the finish, not on the front palate, which I thought was kind of weird and cool. And it wasn't really fruit, like big bowls of fruit that I've been tasting in some of the recent Pinots we've had. It was (how's this for a helpful description) something different. Anyway, my ability to describe my palate and taste sucks, but I nonetheless really loved it, and may buy a case, or at least advocate for having a couple more bottles of it the next time we go to the store (probably the latter will happen).

No comments: