Monday, May 12, 2008

Burke quote

One of my favorite quotes by Edmund Burke, from his excellent book A Philosophical Enquiry into the Origin of our Ideas of the Sublime and Beautiful, is below. I think it captures the spirit of Emily Oster's papers on hepatitis B.
"I am satisfied I have done but little by these observations considered in themselves; and I never should have taken the pains to digest them, much less should I have ever ventured to publish them, if I was not convinced that nothing tends more to the corruption of science than to suffer it to stagnate. These waters must be troubled before they can exert their virtues. A man who works beyond the surface of things, though he may be wrong himself, yet he clears the way for others, and may chance to make even his errors subservient to the cause of truth. . . . I only desire one favour; that no part of this discourse may be judged of by itself and independently of the rest; for I am sensible I have not disposed my materials to abide the test of a captious controversy, but of a sober and even forgiving examination; that they are not armed at all points for battle; but dressed to visit those who are willing to give a peaceful entrance to truth."

No comments: