Monday, February 4, 2008

Venom: The Movie

Marvel is in alleged conversations about developing a spinoff of the Spiderman series based solely on Venom. Did I tell you I hated that movie? Did I also tell you Spiderman 2 was work of pure genius? So imagine my excitement when I learn Topher Grace is going to have his own story. Not that you can't do a Venom story, but something tells me this one will absolutely suck. Man, I hate Hollywood executives sometimes. On the one hand, I respect their ability to deliver stories people want at low cost to the firm. Socially efficient right? Besides, it's stories like Spiderman 3 that make it financially possible for Wes Anderson or Woody Allen to keep making movies, since their stories barely break even, if at all. Cross-subsidization of products or something like that. Still, that was really a bad movie. Spiderman 3 was everything I hate about superhero movies, and Spiderman 2 was everything I love about them, so when I learn the bad movie is spawning a venom movie, I get a little grossed out. But whatever, life goes on. What do I care.

2 comments:

J said...

didn't they spin off his own comic for a while there . .

scott cunningham said...

Did they? I can't remember. That's probably during my comic book blackout. I do know that Venom was temporarily reformed, and then also he spawned several Venom children, some of who were pretty bad, some of which were not so bad. I actually don't mind the Venom character. I remember thinking the original Todd McFarlane stories were pretty spooky and cool (I don't still feel that way when I reread them, though). He's not one of my favorite Spidey bad guys, though. I like Kraven the Hunter a lot more.