Sunday, January 11, 2009

Casillero del Diablo, Carmenere 2007

I read in Wine Spectator that the Concha y Toro Shiraz (not sure the vintage) was an 87 or an 88, and priced really low, like around $10. But when I was at the grocery store, I couldn't remember the grape, and saw too many from that vineyard. I remembered it was red, and that narrowed it down, so I went with the Carmenere 2007. It's a Chilean wine, but I'd never heard or had the Carmenere grape before. Here's a review. My first impressions are that it's awful. Not awful the way really bad wine is awful. More like something is wrong with this wine. Like I'm drinking water in which a mechanic was soaking tools and other metal objects. The smell is overpowering. No trace of fruit at all in the taste as far as I can tell (despite what that reviewer said, I neither smelled nor tasted anything remotely vegetative too). The smell, instead had the same kind of deep mineral smell to it. I decided to cap it and give it another try tomorrow. I'll update then with what I think on second impressions.

Update: Redemption! Definitely better the second day. If you get this, and I think it's pretty much everywhere, I'd recommend letting it decanter for a few hours.

No comments: