Saturday, December 20, 2008

PDF now in Gmail

FYI, when someone sends you a PDF in Gmail, you have the option to view or download the file. It used to be the case that if you clicked "view," that Google would strip the text and whatnot out of the PDF and simply present it as a text file. That worked fine for about 90% of the file unless there were figures and equations in which case it obviously got a little ugly, but it wasn't a big deal really most of the time. I still tended to view it, since I hate downloading PDFs all the time, and because I read so many academic papers, I tend to get a "download" folder that fills up all the time. Anyway, I checked out just now a file someone sent me in PDF by clicking on "view" and for the first time that I had noticed, Google is presenting the PDF as a PDF.

But, I scrolled through this document and noticed that only the first few pages are clear. After the 7th page of this particular document, everything is blurry - figures, tables but also the main body text. Strange. Anyway, I guess if you want to look just at the few pages, this is better than before, but if you want to read the entire document in google's viewer, it's worse.

No comments: