Sunday, November 2, 2008

Q-Tip The Renaissance

I picked up Q-Tip's new album, The Renaissance today. It's playing on the turntable as I clean up the kitchen. It's getting decent, above-average reviews from what I saw, so I thought it was worth giving it a lissie-listen. Here's a review that I suspect I might end up agreeing with.
Overall, Renaissance is not a masterpiece. It’s not Low End Theory; It’s not the second coming of Tribe. And despite a the marketing campaign built around the election day “day of change” release date, the album is not political nor a radical change of direction for Q-Tip. It is however, as good as Amplified.

The only question is if 2008 is too late for another Amplified. Time will tell, but either way, it’s nice to finally see Q-Tip back in action.
Low End Theory is a masterpiece. I'd put it in the top ten albums for the 1990s.

No comments: