Saturday, September 20, 2008

Ebert Gives Lakeview Terrace 4 stars

Read Ebert's review of Lakeview Terrace. The movie is by Neil LaBute who, among other things, wrote and directed Your Friends & Neighbors. It is because of Ebert's review, and the inter-textual review mainly, and having seen Your Friends & Neighbors, that I may not have the stomach for Lakeview Terrace. LaBute has a dark, painful lining - non-redemptive you might say - to his work that reminds me of Todd Solondz. It's not that they aren't good storytellers. It's not that the movies aren't important, or that I disagree with the critical reviews that love both directors' films. But, in all seriousness, Your Friends & Neighbors and Happiness left scars on my soul that have still not healed, and I just don't feel capable of going back again. So, for the time, I'm passing on Lakeview Terrace despite Ebert's strong praise.

No comments: