Tuesday, July 29, 2008

What's the Worst Movie Roger Ebert Ever Reviewed?

Probably Caligula. You can read about the movie's production at wikipedia. This movie has the honor of being one of the few movies, maybe the only movie, that Ebert ever walked out on. Here's his opening to the review.
"Caligula" is sickening, utterly worthless, shameful trash. If it is not the worst film I have ever seen, that makes it all the more shameful: People with talent allowed themselves to participate in this travesty. Disgusted and unspeakably depressed, I walked out of the film after two hours of its 170-minute length. That was on Saturday night, as a line of hundreds of people stretched down Lincoln Ave., waiting to pay $7.50 apiece to become eyewitnesses to shame.
Wow. The entire review reads like a piece of literature. His reviews of the worst movies are actually some of the best film criticism and writing I've ever read.

It sounds like this movie is not just bad - it's degradation. Sometimes Ebert reviews a movie, and the movie is just plain bad. But this movie sounds like it took a piece of Ebert's soul. Thankfully, in the closure, we learn that there is a cure when a movie takes a piece of your soul.
My friendly recommendation is that they see "The Great Santini," to freshen their minds and learn to laugh and care again in a movie. People learn fast. "This movie," said the lady in front of me at the drinking fountain, "is the worst piece of shit I have ever seen."

2 comments:

J said...

did you see his review of step brothers - it sounds like he may place it in the caligula category -

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080723/REVIEWS/611265921

scott cunningham said...

That's an awesome review. I probably learned more about comedy from reading that review than I have from any other source I can think of. I loved this line, "In its own tiny way, it lowers the civility of our civilization."