Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Quick Links

1. Section 46.101(b) says that my survey is IRB exempt, meaning we can proceed with the data collection. I suppose I'm about to learn a lot about collecting my own data. Undoubtedly, this is going to be an unmitigated disaster, but hopefully not.

2. Which leads nicely into #2. What'd the difference between political scientist and a psychologist? The former analyzes existing data, while the latter collects original data! Get it? No? I screwed up the delivery I think.

3. Gelman also explains how to do research. I'll probably crib this next year when I teach research methods. The simple answer is: 1. What's your evidence? 2. How does this fit in with what else you know? 3. What have you found beyond what people thought before? 4. How did all those smart people who came before get things wrong?

4. David Brooks explains the role of early education on economic growth, in the process discussing Heckman, Katz and Goldin's research.

5. First crack, then meth. What's next? Hopium. My wife is a hopium addict. I'm going to see if I can't find a good Hopium Anonymous group in town. Denial's not just a river in Egypt baby.

6. The surest way for me to get a swift quick to the face by my wife is if she caught me trying to defy death by eating one of these killer hot dogs. Wasn't it just a mere months ago that I was applauding the food industry for its efficiency in using the leftover parts to create the hotdog? For these, I may have to eat some of those words.

7. Watch the 5.8 earthquake in Los Angeles during the filming of Judge Judy. Thankfully, this quake for all its ferocity has not caused a lot of casualties - none that I have read of actually. I think this is testimony to the immense need for economic growth, to be serious. In another country, or in America in another time, a 5.8 quake would've been devestating, but continual economic growth affords us to create cities and structures that can withstand some of the mid-sized shocks. I wonder what the upper bound is, though, on withstandable quakes using today's technology and architectural skill.

8. This John Edwards story is not going anywhere anytime soon. Once the National Enquirer posts those pics, it'll really hit the fan. Methinks there will be no place for John Edwards in the Obama administration. You can see it take nosedive at InTrade for the VP candidacy (though admittedly, it looks like he was already a longshot by the time this story broke).



9. Afroninja the Movie. Or, one more reason why I love the Internet. This guy knows how to make lemonade out of life's lemons. (see embedded link below). Be sure to read the interview in that link. If it plays near me, I'm all over it.

No comments: