Saturday, May 24, 2008

Sunburnt, but alive

Just got back from a lengthy bit of travel. I am quite changed for it - mostly for the better, although hopefully the one way I'm worse for it won't be too bad in the longrun. I went kayaking on a river in central Texas for two very hot days, and received a blistering sunburn all over my body. It is especially bad on my ankles, and I can barely walk because of it! That's a first for me. I usually bronze from the sun, because of my complexion, but that's only if I have a base tan to begin with, but since I've been locked up in an office for a year, needless to say, I was as white as the driven snow.

On the good side, I did receive my class evaluations for my two classes this semester, and I'm pleased to say that one of the classes tracked almost perfectly with the scores recorded by the "comparison group," and the other blew the comparison group out of the water. I think that the department will feel good about it as a result.

I'm going to be preparing a new class in the fall - principles of microeconomics. I've taught it before, but only in summer school. As I'm an applied microeconomist, I want to be on top of this class. I'll be using Frank and Bernanke's book, because (a) I used the FB book for macro and (b) I really like Robert Frank and his "economic naturalism" approach to teaching. For principles of micro, because this is a Christian university, we have to teach a section on ethics. I think I'm going to dive into the deepside of the pool and take on the "morality of capitalism" head on. If readers here are familiar of some short essays that perhaps represent good critiques of capitalism from a Christian point of view, perhaps things like Small is Beautiful or Wendell Berry, could they point me to it? Thanks!

No comments: