Monday, May 26, 2008

More Kindle Coveting

Justin Blanton tells me the kindle, in so many words, is bad ass (ht to jk). I'm now jonesing for the Kindle. I was originally jonesing for the iPhone, but the pricetag deterred me (that and my wife's refusal to buy me one, but as that was the pricetag, we can say her refusal was the instrumental reason, but the pricetag the intrinsic. See, I did learn something at the new faculty retreat taught by philosophers last week). Then I started looking at the iPod Touch, but it too wasn't totally doing it for me. Then the guys at MR kept going on and on about Kindle, so I checked it out. Now I'm on the Kindle kick. But, the Kindle is really not helping me out on the price front. Whereas I think it's a better overall fit, in terms of practical usage (since I read constantly, and prefer electronic PDFs, and then books after that), the pricetag ($399) is still not doing it for me. Maybe when I clean up at the poker table this summer, I'll buy myself one, but first I need some answers.

1. Realistically, will I ever be able to get academic textbooks and academic books on it? Obviously, if this is just going to cover popular books or literature, then I can't rationalize it as well. So is the longrun equilibrium that everything is published with an easy electronic version too? If so, I totally want one.

2. Does it have anything like a calendar? Seriously, I need dayplanner on this mutha. Give me a reader with a small app like iCal and I'm set.

No comments: