Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Limit to No Limit

Just learned the local poker parlor has quit spreading its weekly $2/4 limit game, which bites. Now it's only pot and no limit. There is a weekly $50 freezeout no limit tournament on Friday nights, and a $20 buy-in limit tournament on some other night. Neither of which appeal to me. But, I did make some friends at a retreat recently who are interested in starting a poker game of friends, and so maybe I can talk them into a game with some substance. Really I wish I could find a 2/4 limit game, though. Tends to be juicy, in my experience, but affordable. (The two are probably correlated. The more affordable the game, the juicier the game). I may attend this one freezeout and then just ask around. They also have $1/2 no limit cash games, with minimum buy-in of $100 and maximum buy-in of $500. Which, to me, is hardly a constraint for a person with a large bankroll, which I don't have and apparently won't have the opportunity to build up. I think this is just the consequence of the popularity of No Limit poker. More traditional games like limit don't have nearly the appeal when watched on ESPN or Travel, and so with scarce seating plus many inexperienced players gravitating towards no limit, both poker houses and poker players gravitate towards no limit as well. Kind of stinks for me, though. I love no limit, but cash games are so volatile. I buy in for $100, have a great hand, and then get called to go all-in? Without the right bankroll, you can't make the right decisions, since the "right decisions" are only right in a probabilistic sense. You may lose that one race, but you know you win more times on average than you lose and thus end up having a higher "expected" winnings in the longrun. But if you have only enough money to play the one race, then of course the longrun is the shortrun.

No comments: