Friday, May 30, 2008

Ebert Gives The Strangers 1.5 stars

You can see for yourself.

It was a terrifying trailer, we have to give it that, but in the back of my mind, I did wonder if they could pull it off. Sounds like they couldn't. But read Ebert's review, because it sounds like a little more complicated than his 1.5 stars suggests. The director, he says, can obviously direct, and it is a competent movie, with an excellent first act, but just explodes and dies in the third act into a "maddening, nihilistic, infuriating ending."

Ebert's best and most insightful writing is oftentimes in his bad reviews, but I can't figure out why this movie is so bad. The wikipedia entry is also very thin. Since I'll never see it, I wish I could find a good plot description, but it'll probably be a while til the wikipedia community gets someone to go see it and report.

No comments: