Wednesday, May 28, 2008

De-Emphasis on Race and Culture in Adoptions Changing

From the NYT, discussions about amending the Multiethnic Amendment Act be altered to allow caseworkers more latitude in considering race and culture in making placements with families. I was not familiar with studies, which are mentioned in the article, that found cross-race adoption placements were on average worse for the child, but this quote was illuminating of what it's like for the adoptee:
Many transracial adoptees say they struggle to fit in among their own family members. Shannon Gibney, 33, a writer in Minneapolis who describes herself as biracial, was adopted by a white couple who tried their best by providing things like books by black authors.

“But having books and other things about blacks is no substitute for actual experience,” Ms. Gibney said. “When I had questions about even little things like how to wear my hair, there was no one around to help me with my questions.”
I think Becker's work on the family and marriage discusses interracial marriage, and largely predicts interracial marriages will be less stable than same-race marriages. I only remember seeing that in passing and haven't studied it myself, though, but if true would not surprise me to learn it held for parent-child, too.

No comments: