Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Be Still my Beating Geek Heart

Have I ever wanted to be a movie to be as good as I want this movie to be great? Of course, I also wanted to have mutant powers from 9-12 (any would do), and didn't get those despite numerous prayers and pleas. So I'm thinking that the chance that the greatest comic book ever written (even considered one of the greatest novels by some, into which company I'd place myself) can be successfully told on screen in roughly 3 hours is maybe not going to happen.



I tend to agree with what Moore says here:
"In an interview with Variety's Danny Graydon during Warner Bros.'s first possession of feature film rights for Watchmen, the graphic novel's writer Alan Moore adamantly opposed a film adaptation of his comic book, arguing, "You get people saying, 'Oh, yes, Watchmen is very cinematic,' when actually it's not. It's almost the exact opposite of cinematic." Moore said that Terry Gilliam, preparing to direct Watchmen for Warner Bros. at the time, had asked Moore how the writer would film it. Moore told Graydon about his response, "I had to tell him that, frankly, I didn't think it was filmable. I didn't design it to show off the similarities between cinema and comics, which are there, but in my opinion are fairly unremarkable. It was designed to show off the things that comics could do that cinema and literature couldn't."

No comments: