Wednesday, March 12, 2008

ISFP?

Interesting. I now scored ISFP on the Myers-Briggs test. Historically, I've tended to score INFP - intuitive, instead of sensing. Although this time, I scored a 1 on sensing, which I think basically means I can go either way. Here's another description of the ISFP personality
The Portait of the Composer (ISFP)

Besides being concrete in speech and utilitarian in getting what they want, the Composer Artisans are accomodating and attentive in their social roles. Composers are just as reluctant to direct others' behavior as are Performers, though they appear even more so, since they are more attentive.

While all the Artisans are artistic in nature, Composers (perhaps ten per cent of the population) seem to excel in the "fine arts," having not only a natural grace of movement, but also an innate sense what fits and what doesn't fit in artistic compositions. Of course, composing must not be thought of as only writing music, but as bringing into harmonious form any aspect of the world of the five senses, and so when an especially gifted painter, sculptor, choreographer, film maker, songwriter, chef, decorator, or fashion designer shows up, he or she is likely to be an Composer.

Composers, like the other Artisans, have a special talent for "tactical" variation, and such talent differs radically from that possessed by Idealists, Rationals, and Guardians (who have their own unique and inherent abilities). As the word "tactical" implies, Artisans keep closely in "touch" with the physical world, their senses keenly tuned to reality. But, while the Crafter is attuned to the tool and its uses, the Composer is attuned to sensory variation in color, line, texture, aroma, flavor, tone-seeing, touching, smelling, tasting, and hearing in harmony. This extreme concreteness and sensuality seems to come naturally to the Composers, as if embedded "in the warp and woof" of their make.

Bob Dylan, Jackie Kennedy Onassis, Cher, Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, Mel Brooks, Steven Spielberg, and Neil Simon are examples of a Composer Artisans.
It's hard to take the test repeatedly. I felt anchored to certain answers, because I knew they weighted me towards one type or another. So, for instance, I've sensed a slight blossoming of the extroverted side of me, which I get from my mom's side, over the last five years. But it's nonetheless hard to answer the "how are you at parties?" questions any differently. And, I think I actually am still more interested in staying home with the family than being in social situations, so maybe it's not so much that I'm actually more extroverted, as I am just more comfortable in my skin than I used to be. Either way, the point still remains, I think it's hard to take the test multiple times and answer it truthfully. Maybe if you took different types of tests, not just the Myers-Briggs, though. But then, they don't all map onto one another. The Big 5 has 5 dimensions, whereas Myers-Briggs has only 4, for instance.

No comments: