Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Morning Reading

Best films to never have won a Best Picture Oscar. Pretty good list. But, really it's incomplete if we cannot see what did win each year that these lost. Although, in 1941, Citizen Kane lost to How Green Was My Valley, a John Ford directed film nominated for ten awards (winning five), and at least in terms of our collective memory, I think most people have seen or heard of Citizen Kane. I don't think you can say the same about How Green... Although, I'll admit this only because it's an anonymous blog. I thought Citizen Kane was okay. It's not the most moving film I've ever seen. There's an emotional heaviness to the film, and the search for Rosebud is fascinating - I can only imagine how much moreso had I not seen an SNL skit when I was a kid that basically gave away the ending! - but it's not the sort of movie I like to rewatch. Rear Window on the other hand? All day, everyday.

Now to macro class.

No comments: