Thursday, February 21, 2008

Mario on Atari 2600

Can we all just agree that while Obama is great, and promises to reunite America, that the real person who can and should do it is the fellow who programmed Super Mario Brothers into his Atari 2600 emulator? I want one so bad! It's perfect. It's eerily identical in ways I cannot understand to the NES version, even though it's basically flattened by the ginormous pixels and squares. Someone once told me that the reason Nintendo gave Mario the mustache was because he needed something on his face. I forget the rest. It had something to do with an optimal visual cue the person needed to recognize the face, and it was easiest to do a straight line across his face (ie, a mustache) to accomplish that, because of the limitations of the old hardware. When you see this faceless person, I can see his point. Still, I'm voting for HOPE this year, and his name is dude-who-programmed-his-atari-2600-to-play-a-sweet-Super-Mario-Brothers. Hopefully I can write that in somewhere.



Update: Alright, foul. I thought Atari 2600 had one button. But towards the end of world 1-1, this guy speeds up as he is racing up the steps to jump on the flagpole. He can only race and jump if he has two buttons, not one. Either the button on the 2600 is going to be a jump button, or it's a speed button, but he can't do both with it, can he? Or is he just that awesome that he can! Uniter!

Update Deus: Hmmm. Comments say this is something called an "old ROM hack" and could never function on a 2600 for various reasons that went over my head as soon as I started to read them. That said, I've grown sour on the uniting potential of this person. But deep down in my heart, I'm supporting him/her. Viva la Guy!

No comments: