Friday, February 29, 2008

Hartford's Top 10 Undercover Economics Books

And what makes the top of the list? The Death and Life of Great American Cities by Jane Jacobs.

Interestingly, I have around here somewhere my application essay to grad school where I explained my reasons for wanting a PhD in economics. In it, I talk a lot about Jacobs' book. In my mind, both at that time seven years ago and today, Jacobs was the epitome of the scientist - observant, caring, involved with the very thing she was studying. She wasn't right on everything, but in that book, I can't think of a thing I would disagree with. I've always considered Jacobs, as well as Gary Becker, my biggest heroes, intellectually speaking, and even told my wife that that book was my favorite book.

Hartford's got a pretty good list. He's also got Robert Frost's poetry on there, which I too love, as well as popularized books of game theory by Axlrod and Schelling, both of which I also love. Everyone loves Adam Smith's Theory of Moral Sentiments, apparently. I should probably read it. Since I said "Probably," that is code for "I won't read it."

No comments: