Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Terminator

Warning. This post is nonlinear.

Terminator 1/2 is ranked #13 out of 25 top Sci-fi of all time by some authoritative governing body (okay, Entertainment Weekly, whatever). I haven't gotten to 1-12, so I can't say whether this is is fair or unfair, but I will say I remember vividly being dropped off at the theater with two 9th grade friends by my mom, not even knowing what this movie was about, what the reviews were saying, and having only the barest memory of Terminator 1. And when we emerged from the dark screen, it was like we were emerging from our baptism into a new world. That's how great of a film experience it was. The action set pieces, the special effects, the characterization, the Guns and Roses soundtrack (a band I hated with a fiery passion, but worshipped for the two-odd hours of the film). It was a work of genius.

Update. Lost is #11. Okay, I can buy that. Also over-the-top feelings when I watched the pilot a few years ago, and really ever episode since. I like where this is going.

Update Deux. Okay, you had me at hello. The Matrix at number one? Yes there is a Santa Claus, Virginia. Although, where is Twin Peaks in this list? Did I miss it?

Update Troi. This is such a great list. Evidence? V, #25. Galaxy Quest, #24. I've forever felt like this is one of the most under-appreciated movies ever. Quantum Leap, #22. Star Wars: Clone Wars, #20. Sigh. If only any of the prequels had been half as good as this cartoon spanning 2003-2005, maybe the world would be a much better place than it is. I don't think a single other Star Wars movie is even on this list, and yet Clone Wars made it! That says volumes about how great this show is. And my current favorite, lovefest - Heroes at #18. I won't bore you with odes to this wonderful show (I even loved season 2, so shoot me. But it's like a love letter sent to me from Zucker at NBC. Gush. Eternal Sunshine of the Heartless Mind, #17! Wow. This is the best list ever made.

No comments: