Monday, December 10, 2007

Waitress (3 stars/4 stars)

We saw Waitress last night. I don't have the energy for a full-on review. Maybe later. I liked the movie, and will give it 3 - 3.25 stars, but in all honesty, I think I've seen so many shows and movies lately with this type of eccentric storytelling and characterization that I may have found it more annoying than most people. After all, it scores a 75 at metacritic, which is pretty good. Most people really enjoyed it. And I did enjoy it, but it was also kind of depressing too. Everyone in the film was in a relationship that made them miserable - usually married to someone they hated and who mistreated them. I found it a little shallow and sentimental in some places, because continually the emphasis was on liberation from a miserable marriage through artistic expression and authentic bonds with people (either sexually or with a newborn child). At times, I found it a story with some value, but at other times, I found it painful and sometimes I even disagreed with it. BUt anyway, I figure if I give Holiday a 3-star (readjusted down to 2.5), then I have to give this one more, but I really wasn't crazy about this movie. So, personally, I'm giving it a 3 star.

No comments: