Wednesday, December 26, 2007

No Country For Old Men (?/ 4 stars)

I saw No Country for Old Men the other day, but cannot yet review it. It's the sort of movie I probably need to see twice. For one, I got to the movie a half hour late. Therefore, I really never got into the full swing. Secondly, and more importantly, it's a hard movie to fully grasp. I got the sense the movie was more than just a thriller about halfway through. It's one of the more terrible films I've ever seen - violence, evil and death are really terrible things in this movie. The main killer is a pure psychopath, and one of the scariest scenes I've ever seen was a scene in which he came awfully close to killing an old man at a filling station in Texas. That was a brilliant, tense scene in which the banter nearly made me cry. I think the title, when taken against the backdrop of the story, must mean that the killer has made this world non-inhabitable for old men. Tommy Lee Jones, a sheriff on the killer's trail, seems to be constantly in a state of violation and unrest because of what this killer is capable of doing, and what he has already done, and will most likely do again. The killer, who acts randomly and ruthlessly, is like a new wind blowing across the country. But I need more time to think about it, and despite the protestations of my dearest wife, I will have to find some way to see it again to form a better opinion.

No comments: