Tuesday, November 13, 2007

UFC Glory

I still remember the first time I heard about Ultimate Fighting Championship. I was in college reading Details magazine, and came across an apologetic of the new sport. The article was well-written, and explained the high drama of the Brazilian ju-jitsu fighters from the Gracie family versus every other style imaginable. (The article is not this one by David Plotz, at least I don't think, but it's also a good defense). Tonight, while taking out the cat, I waited for him to get back from doing his business and saw another article re-telling how it went from what it was in the first days to what it is now, which is now more of a pay-per-view juggernaut. I leave you, kind reader, with this most excellent fight - which after having seen it many years ago, was burned into my brain. In the end, Keith Hackney had to drop out of the tournament because the pummelling he gave Emmanuel Yarborough, the 620 pound sumo wrestler, fractured his forearm.



Update Youtube has tons of great, vintage UFC fights. This one, which I'd never seen, is between Royce Gracie and Dan Severn. Gracie is on his back most of the fight, which means very little since Gracie's moves from that position are apparently just as lethal. I think it may end at 2:52. You can see Gracie's hand on Severn's wrist, and at that point it looks like he has in him some kind of lock that results shortly thereafter in Severn tapping out.

No comments: