Saturday, November 17, 2007

Natalie Portman and Timothy Hutton scene

It's a well-known fact in my family that I love Roger Ebert's reviews. Not just merely in some kind of objective "here's-good-writing" kind of way. What I mean is, when I read his reviews, I am moved emotionally, spiritually and intellectually. He's a national treasure, or at the very least, a private treasure, and I worry about him regularly because of his poor health.

Today I came across a scene from a 1996 film entitled Beautiful Girls that got me curious. The movie stars Timothy Hutton, Matt Dillon, Mira Sorvino, Natalie Portman, Uma Thurman, Martha Plimpton, Rosie O'Donnell, and several others, and is directed by Ted Demme. I then scanned for Ebert's review, figuring that since I traditionally agree with him about 90% of the time, that he'd be a good guide to see the film. He gave it 3.5 stars, virtually guaranteeing I'd love this film. His review of it made me even more sure of that fact. Among the wonderful descriptions and observations, I found this one really great. It's classic Ebert to both notice this attribute in the movie, and to more importantly notice that that is an important attribute for a story to have.
"What's nicest about the film is the way it treasures the good feelings people can have for one another. They emerge most tenderly in the friendship between Willie and the 13-year-old girl."
Here's the scene from Beautiful Girls that piqued my curiosity. Ah, Natalie Portman. Are you really the greatest actress of my generation? Yes, I think. I think I have someone else my compete with you for that title, but I'm drawing a blank right at this moment. But she has it all. She's easy on the eyes, profoundly wonderful dramatic actress, and even comedic actress. I don't think anyone else is the full package the way she is.

1 comment:

Matthew Pearson said...

saw this with Genna a couple of months ago. It's good.