Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Make Sleepy Time

Ah, evening. You have arrived. You have spread your wings over me and now I must rest. I wish. Actually, I'm finishing a paper for a conference that is next week, and since I teach all day tomorrow, there shall be little time tomorrow since tomorrow I must prepare a face to meet the faces I will meet. Sigh. In the meantime. I leave you with these tidbits.

1. Do coffeeshops discriminate against women? Maybe. A forthcoming Applied Economics article by Caitlin Myers of Middlebury College finds that controlling for the kind of drink women and men order (as women tend to order more complicated coffee drinks), women still have to wait about 20 seconds longer than men to get their order. What an interesting finding. This result goes away, for the most part, the greater the share of female staff working, suggesting it is rooted in the male employee side of things.

2. Two new books written, apparently, in response to the wave of anti-religion books by Dawkins and Hitchens. I won't read them, but I'll link to them. I laugh sometimes when I think about how my exposure to agnostic scientific reasoning has exploded since college. In fact, I think about evolution and evolutionary processes what feels like constantly. Being religious myself, it creates uncomfortable tensions, since for most of my Christian life, I've held to the more theologically traditional positions on things like the age of the earth, the impossibility of evolution, etc.

And that is it. Leon's eyes are getting heavier and heavier. I still have to brush my teeth! I leave you with my my favorite.

No comments: